Sunday, May 29, 2005

Leann Making Puerto Rico a Better Place, One Bug at a Time!



Leann is a college student from the States who came to help us this summer. The first night here, she found a large tropic sized cockroach in her room. It ran under the dresser and I ran for a broom. I asked Leann to keep a look out for it, but just as I was returning with the broom I heard a scream and a WHAM! The huge insect made a dash right at her, but she rose to the occasion and did the daring deed of stomping on the foul beast. Her flip flop shod feet where her only weapons. But in spite of a little scream and some trembling hands afterwards, she found the courage that was required to confront the cockroach.

The next day, Tina, Leann and I went to clean the church. Leann went to the little store next to the church and saw an entire pig, head and all lying on the counter. I said, "What luck, Leann! You just had a real cultural experience!" She smiled, but I do not believe she considered the encounter with the cockroach or the pig as positive cultural experiences! But we did take her to a wedding, she played piano in church for us, and we are having a church party tomorrow that she will participate in, so I think in spite of the animal encounters, she will enjoy her stay here in Puerto Rico! Posted by Hello

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear Leann made it safely! I've been reading along since she passed on the website as a way to "check in" with your ministry. I enjoy your site so much! Give her a hug for me!
- Megan from City View in Michigan