Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Study Books or Hang the Hammock on the Hooks?


So much study to do this week and it is so very hot! I try to switch between deskwork and more active work to keep my energy up during the day. I prepared for my Greek class and read a students Biology project on Organic Chemistry today, both in Spanish, but then went outside and read a bit (NOT Greek, Biology or Chemistry!) in the old hammock. I found this poem that expressed some of my feelings about being at my desk for long stretches at a time.

The Tables Turned -Wordsworth
Up! up! my friend, and quit your books,
Or surely you'll grow double.

(Note: I think this mean you get fat if you don't ever leave the desk!)

Up! up! my friend, and clear your looks;
Why all this toil and trouble. . . .

Sweet is the lore which Nature brings;
Our meddling intellect
Misshapes the beauteous forms of things--
We murder to dissect.

Enough of Science and of Art,
Close up those barren leaves;
Come forth, and bring with you a heart
That watches and receives. Posted by Hello

No comments: