Sunday, June 11, 2006

Happy Results from an Uncomfortable Moment


Communion Confusion Has Unexpected Happy Ending

I led the church in a celebration of the Lords' Supper this morning and an awkward moment arose. I usually give a general admonition about self examination before the elements are passed out, but leave it to each person to decide to either partake or let the elements pass. Today I gave these instructions and had a deacon pass out the bread and then an elderly gentleman named Joaquin pass out the communion cups afterwards. Well, Joaquin, forgetting our policy, took it upon himself to skip a man named William Baez in the distribution of the communion.

Now Mr. Baez is a man I met during visitation about two years ago. After much visitation he finally came and really liked our church. He told me something like this: Just let me take it all for a while and I will let you know what I think. I think I might like it, but do not try and get me or I will get scared and run off. Well, I continued to encourage him, but was cautious about being too forceful after this declaration.

He was upset about what happened and wanted to know why he should have been passed by in the communion service. He spoke to our head deacon about it after the service. Luis calmed him down and showed him from scripture the symbolism of communion but how much more critical it is to have the relationship with God of which communion is the symbol. In short, William Baez bowed his head and asked Jesus Christ to be his Lord and Savior.

I was afraid we scared away a potential church member. But God used this bit of drama today to bring a soul to Himself. What a privilege to serve a God who, in spite of our errors, is able and gracious enough to bring success out of our efforts to serve Him. Amen!

No comments: