Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Scary words, "I took your advice, and...!"

I stopped by Puerto Rico Baptist College to do some work yesterday and got a surprise. A student from Grenada named Eorl said, "I did just what you told me to do last year when I returned to Grenada. What you said would happen, happened exactly as you described it!"

Well, I was a bit nervous about what was to follow! He told me that I had advised him to speak to all the pastors in the area where he wanted to start a church. The reason being that he might pick up some useful local news and maybe even find a group of Christians left over from an abandoned work. It sometimes happens that a missionary or pastor has problems and leaves an area and a group of believers before a church is successfully formed. By asking around you might find such a situation, or maybe a group about to be abandoned. If you can find one of like faith and practice, it can give a real boost to your church planting activities.

Eorl told me that he did the survey as I suggested and ran into just this situation. A local pastor said to him, "I am leaving this town. You can take the work I have started!"

When he told me that he took my advice, I remembered the poster that shows a group of managers watching some employees and crying out in panic; "Oh no! They did it just like we told them to!" I felt a bit like that first, and was nervous about him following advice I gave out in some forgotten conversation. But I am relieved it turned out well. We are happy to find students putting into practice what they learn from us and especially when it results in advancing the work of church planting in another island in the Caribbean. Amen!

No comments: