Friday, July 07, 2006

Getting mad in a nice way

I like listening to the radio when working around the house. One show that I like is a news trivia show on National Public Radio called, "Wait, wait, don't tell me" But a while ago I heard a segment where the comedian MC made some jokes about God being cruel, then later blasted just one political party and followed up with ridiculing Evangelical Christians. Instead of just turning off the program, I wrote this letter:

Dear Wait Wait,

I have really enjoyed your show, but was saddened when I heard your most recent segment which included a joke about God, slams against Christians and a number of jokes, almost exclusively against just one political party. I can take it when both political parties are mocked, or if atheists get the same treatment you give Christians!

If you want to bite the hand that funds you, fine. But come one, making fun of God? That is just over the line for me. I regretfully will no longer be a listener to your otherwise fine program.

Feeling Bad for Losing a Good Thing,

Steve Prelgovisk

I was tempted to take an angry tone when I wrote them. Then I thought, "If I sound like I am a disappointed fan, it may be a more effective protest than if I just get hostile." I am glad now that I made my point in a more gentle way, because they wrote me a very nice personal letter and instead of getting defensive, they were apologetic.

Getting mad in a nice way, I made my point and maybe made a difference.

No comments: