Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Learning to Be Quiet: Important Discipleship Skill

Last Sunday I asked a church member to preach. His name is Wilfredo Negron. Wilfredo is in his late forties, is married, has three college age kids at home and is employed making contact lenses in a local factory. I asked another man, Luis Lopez, to teach the Adult Sunday School class. Luis is an air-conditioner repairman for the University of Puerto Rico school campuses.

While they were employing their gifts for the good of the church, I went downstairs and substituted for a missing Sunday school teacher. I think I had the hardest job that morning!

I am learning something: the missionary or pastor can become a one-man show. It is easy to justify: after all, if you think you do every job in the church better than the members , why not do it all yourself? This feels right at times. Who wants a second rate service when it can be first rate? But there is a better way. More often than not, it is a better policy to shut up and let others use and develop their gifts.

Wilfredo and Luis both did a great job. The congregation was blessed. I got to thank them and see them leave the church happy. I felt like I was doing my job as a missionary. That is a win-win-win situation.

It really doesn’t take some of them very long to surpass us in skills, or at least in being a more enduring blessing to the church. After all, if we never shut up and let them serve, how will they ever mature to the point where they can do the work themselves, without our help? It is not easy, but as I see them grow, it certainly is very satisfying!

No comments: