Friday, June 22, 2012

Viral Nerve Attack (warning: gross picture)

I thought I was coming down with the Dengue fever, because I have had that tropical disease and the symptoms were initially the same. But then something didn't happen. I expected a fever to set in but nothing like that happened. I thought I must have a mild case of it and would recover quickly.

No such luck.

The itching became worse and broke into extremely painful fiery red sores on my right side. I went to the doctor and he said that I had "Shingles," a painful infection of the nerve cells by the same virus (Herpes Zoster) that causes Chicken Pox. It lies dormant and for unknown reasons reactivates and causes havoc from inside the nerve cells.

I was given an antiviral pill to take 3x a day, a pain pill to take 2x a day and some sleeping pills. Managing the medications, the pain and trying to get all our work done lately has been a challenge. I am thankful for Tina's good attitude and loving care during this time. Please for our family, our health and our ministry.

No comments: