Friday, April 05, 2013

Being "Anti-Church, Anti-Religion, Pro-Jesus" Is Not Helpful to Missions

It is popular today to bash the church and to denigrate religion, but does popularity mean that it is a good thing to do?

I say "NO!"

Instead of picking on the church, we should take our place in it and serve the Lord in some capacity to make it a better place for new Christians to grow up in and an effective home base to launch and sustain mature Christians as they take the gospel into all the world.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Could you be more specific. Perhaps some books that do this.
Thanks,
John Gallegos

Unknown said...

Personally I don't bash the church so much as I bash the existence of all the different denominations. I view the claim of a denomination as being the definition of one's religion. Seeing it that way, I can't say that I like religion either. Why?

Christ has one fold, and He is the one shepherd of that one fold. In Christ's eyes there are no Mormons, Protestants, Catholics, Baptists, Lutherans, non-denominationals, etc. There is only the saints of God.

Now I'm not against congregating. I'm all for that because I believe it's important that we come together to love on and strengthen one another. What I'm saying is that we shouldn't be getting caught up in figuring out what "category" of Christianity someone belongs to.

Okay, all the different arguments about the perception of the reading of scriptures aside... We all believe in Jesus Christ, are doing our best to be like him, have other see Him in us, and develop a relationship with him.

So that said, getting down to the basis of what missionary work is all about... We should be helping people to get to know Jesus. Not a religious institution.

Now with all due respect, this is just my opinion of what I perceive to be truth. I mean no offense to you. :-)