Sunday, May 26, 2013

Hurt but in Church

A man in our church had a bad fall and was in the hospital yesterday with a bad skull injury and injured, possibly breaking his ribs. He is awaiting his x-rays to see if they are broken, but in the mean time, and while in pain, he came to church.

He said, "With everything going on, I just had to come here. You are like a father to me."

I had mixed emotions about his attitude. First of all,  I am only 5 years older than him! Also, whenever he heard something he thought was funny in my sermon, he would laugh and grab his ribs and wince in pain at the same time. I hate to see people suffer, but on the other hand his attitude was a good example. He felt troubled and in pain and his first instinct was to come to church and pray with us over his problems.

I wish more people felt that way, running to the house of their Father when in trouble.  Our church is still small, but at least to some in Puerto Rico, it is the place to go to find that help and comfort that comes from God.

No comments: