Saturday, June 22, 2013

Recovery: Sleeping is Difficult. Please Pray that I Can Get Needed Rest.

"...he giveth his beloved sleep."  Psalms 127 

I have never been much of a fan of sleep, but my opinion has changed recently. 


After my tubes were removed, I was able to move around and enjoy some freedom. But at a cost.

The Doctor told me that due to the nature of a prostatectomy, many patients become incontinent and are required to wear a "Depends."  He asked me to wear them during the first stages of my recuperation.

The good news is, I have not really needed them. The bad news is, whenever I feel an urge to go, I can't just lie there, but jump out of bed and head to the bathroom. This happens 7 or more times a night.

Part of the problem might be caused by a "stint."  The Doctor said that one kidney was low and almost directly attached to the prostate region, so he lengthened the tube somehow and had to install a kind of plastic spring that would connect the kidney it to my bladder. These internal devices may be  contributing to a feeling of urgency that is hard to ignore. 

While I can rejoice in successful removal of the cancer, the sparing of my nerve bundles and my apparent continence, I am anxious to get some much needed rest so that my recovery may continue unimpeded by lack of sleep.


Sometimes you never miss something until it goes away. Right now, I am a big fan of sleep and will welcome its return.

No comments: