Sunday, February 09, 2014

From Goats to Sheep

I read a passage where those who neglect acts of kindness toward others are called "Goats" while those who do them are called "Sheep."

We had an unexpected "sheep" kind of week.

A poor man that attends our church told me how he was cold at night and was shivering during a bout of illness. He mentioned that he only had one bed sheet and had difficulty staying warm at night. Tina overheard our conversation.

When we were alone, She said, "We have a blanket in storage that isn't being used. I would like to give that to Mike."

The next Saturday when I was giving devotions to our small AWANA club, I saw him out front of the church and invited him in. I gave him the blanket and a small amount of money for some medicine, we shared some food and he went on his way.

Sunday morning he was at church bright and early and eager to share something. Before we started Sunday school, he came forward and asked to say something.

Mike's hands trembled as he spoke, "I want to thank Tina for her gift of a blanket."

He turned towards my wife and said, "Tina, I was cold and sick and you gave me a blanket. Thank you."

I had goosebumps when I heard those words, because they brought to mind these words:

"Matt 2533 And He will set the sheep on His right hand, but the goats on the left. 34 Then the King will say to those on His right hand, ‘Come, you blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: 35 for I was hungry and you gave Me food; I was thirsty and you gave Me drink; I was a stranger and you took Me in; 36 was naked and you clothed Me; I was sick and you visited Me; I was in prison and you came to Me....40 And the King will answer and say to them, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.’"

I am grateful to my sympathetic wife, an unexpected opportunity, and a thankful, needy individual that we were able to hear words like this, expressed in a public way, in our church on a Sunday morning. 

I am also glad that we have a God who is the kind of God who cares about things like this. What a privilege to belong to His flock!


No comments: