Monday, February 03, 2014

High Tech is Fun, But It's the People That Make the Difference.

"Missions is about People: Here are mine" Steve Prelgovisk, Puerto Rico
I was a guest speaker at a large church a while ago and got to see a few other missionary presentations.
I was surprised at what the people around me said about two of them. They lauded the high tech presentation and spoke well about the "sharp" missionary who made it. Later they spoke poorly of the other missionary because of lack of "professionalism" in his video.

I saw something entirely different.

The "slick" video had only the missionary, his family and a few props. The "poor presentation" was full of people and showed the missionary interacting with hundreds of people during the week.

My take-a-way was this: One missionary was good at reaching people for Christ and the other was good at learning film making. I would rather support a missionary that has people skills than tech skills because missions is about people.

Technology is great, but it can never take the place of a missionary with an open Bible in a persons house, presenting the gospel. If that isn't happening, missions isn't happening.

No comments: