Sunday, March 23, 2014

A Shoot out on Saturday Makes for an Interesting Sunday.

I think our guardian angel is doing an excellent job.

This morning,  I noticed a new beggar on the street by my church. I walked past him on my way to the corner bakery, where I bought 3 lbs of bread for our after church snack time. I passed the beggar again on my way back to church.

He called out to me, "Pastor, help me buy some bread!"

I took one of the loaves and went to hand it to him. He stopped me.

"No," He complained, "You don't understand. I don't want the bread. I need money to buy bread latter. It's for my Aunt. Could you give me money?"

"Well, then," I said, "I can't help you."

After church started, I noticed that he suddenly ran by our church steps, up a hill with another guy, and into the back yard of a neighbour. They grabbed a shirt with a number on it and started waving it around the street. Other people took notice and left.

"What is going on?" I asked a street person who attends our church.

"It s from the shoot out last night." Mike said, "One of our people was shot in the leg. The guys who did it came back. Everyone is running around trying to find them and catch them"

"Are we in danger?" I asked

Mike replied, "Well, I don't think so. They won't shoot anybody in the church on purpose. But if they find the guys who did it and start shooting, someone may get hit with a "Bala Perdida," (stray bullet)."

I announced in church for everybody to be careful on the way home, but nobody seemed alarmed. Just another day in our little town in the mountains of Puerto Rico.

We made it home alright. Praise God for His watch care over us on the mission field. If you pray for your missionaries, your prayers were just answered.

Thanks you!

No comments: