Monday, July 20, 2015

Red Flame Flower Trees of Puerto Rico

On our way to church, my wife Tina and I drive past beautiful flowering trees whose branches gracefully arch over the mountain roadway. They are called "Flamboyant"  or "Flame trees"  (Delonix regia).

Tina picked one of these flowers Sunday morning and showed it to me. I was surprised. I have always liked the flaming red color of these trees, but I didn't know the flowers were so intricate and beautiful. They remind me of orchids.

They are very popular here and are the national flower of Puerto Rico. They are planted everywhere.

Since we never have winter or autumn in the tropics, we miss seeing the beautiful colors of Fall. But living here in the Caribbean,  we do get to see some nice red foliage, thanks to the Flamboyant tree.

No comments: